Saturday, January 21, 2012

Plane-guins

Don't let the tricky title fool you: It's exactly what it sounds like.

On a recent flight on Southwest, I was lucky enough to ride home with the Sea World PR Crew and two penguins.


During my voyage home from seeing the Illustrious Annie Chen, I was routed through Denver International Airport. I had heard much about conspiracies, but didn't see many causes for concern in Concourse C, which is the crappiest of all concourses, to be sure, but I didn't feel like exploring. Maybe some other time I'll be sure to travel through Denver with a layover and check it out the supposed creepiness.

Anyhow, on the plane ride I took back from San Diego, I was accompanied by Magellanic penguins. Two of them, Pete & Penny, in fact. Although, those are cute monikers, as both of these birds were males.

After refreshments were served, Pete came out to visit us!


I sat in the front row between Booker, the PR guy for Sea World, and Jason, a penguin keeper there. Across the row was Jen, and 18-year veteran keeper and two kennels with the South American birds. I talked with them for a while about Sea World, the Park, and all sorts of things.

They were in Denver doing PR for Sea World at the local ice rink, the airport and a lot of places around Denver.

This was honestly a dream come true. As a kid, I wanted to be a Shamu trainer and fly on the Shamu plane. I wanted to fly on a plane with the penguins like the pictures at the Penguin Encounter at Sea World show.

I think this was better than flying on the Shamu plane.

Check out my youtube video here: http://youtu.be/nKX8Z2lGYjo

No comments:

Post a Comment