Saturday, March 12, 2011

Yeah, I'm Talking to You

Dear Mr. Sony Dream Machine,

Hello. We've been together for a few years now, and so far we've had a pretty decent relationship. We've learned each other's boundaries, and really had our ups and downs. I have tried to stop hitting you with such force, and blaming you for things that aren't your fault. I know you don't control the earth's rotation. You just display it in a quantifiable way for me. I get that! And you've done your job over and over and over again. I thank you for that.

But hey, now. This is the weekend where I lose an hour of my precious sleep. This is the weekend we set the clocks forward in an age old marketing ploy. This is the weekend I don't work on Sunday and was planning on skipping all the confusion and grogginess regarding the change. The first one of those weekends in a long while.

You know what you did. I've never particularly liked your auto-set time function, and you know that. The first day I took you out of your box I spent a while trying to set the the time manually. But you just wanted me to push the region button and let your automatic preferences take effect. Then you worked. And along came a DST situation, and remarkably you worked again. Two times a year like clockwork. Funny, because you are a clock, Mr. Sony Dream Machine.

Like clockwork until today. Like clockwork until Saturday, March 12, 2011. Now, Mr. Sony Dream Machine, I have work today. It starts at 8 a.m. I usually get up at 6:45, get ready and get out the door by 7:50. It's a game we've played for over a year now. We've taken a few Saturdays off here and there, but there's no real big surprise. But that wasn't good enough for you, was it? No, of course not.

You're Mr. Sony Dream Machine! Now I really know why your initials are Mr. SDM! First you make me feel bad for hitting your snooze button so hard, but then I find out you like it. Now you play tricks on me! Now you decide that you will set my clock ahead one hour a day early! So now I've been robbed of an hour of sleep when I've got such a big day ahead of me.

You sir, are an ass. And I am sending you this letter to let you know that you are indeed an ass. Pray that I don't decide to unplug you and give you to the Goodwill. You jerk.

Grumpily,

Mike

PS You really should have come with an antenna. Your radio function is scratchy at best. Yeah, that's right. I went there.

2 comments: