Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Aging

The more and more I see, the more and more it seems that getting old is a pain in the ass.

My grandpa was in great pain today. He is the standard by which I measure how painful something is. I've seen that guy endure a lot of things, and today he couldn't even draw in a deep breath without crying out in pain.

The best case scenario is that he has pleurisy.

I guess I need to accept that no matter what, no matter how well I take care of my body, what I eat, what I don't eat, eventually (unless I die 'prematurely') I, too, will get old. And I, too, will ache. I will be in further pain sometime up ahead.

Not clear what the worst case scenario is for him right now. Fingers crossed it's not cancer.

On the other side of the coin, I guess joyful moments are inevitable, too. Beauty still exists in this world, and I can do my best to contribute to that. There are moments of fun to be had. Love to be shared. Smiles to spread.

I suppose one can only hope that they were dealt out more from the jar of good things.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about your grandpa, Mike. This must be incredibly difficult for you.

    ReplyDelete