Monday, January 31, 2011

Brand-vertising

Same as any kid growing up watching a lot of movies and television, I was definitely inundated with a lot of commercials and advertisements. Some of the funniest commercials were always the Coca-Cola commercials. I remember this one in particular where a guy goes into a store in Asia and is trying to act out how to get a coke. (Youtube link here)

Commercials like this happened all the time, and definitely stuck in my head. But as I think about it right now, there is a battle being waged inside my head. One part of me quite sympathetic and loves the idea of Coca-Cola. Red label Coca-Cola. Served at McDonalds. Exclusive beverage of Disneyland. True American. What's not to love? I guess the product, because I hate it!

My problem is I hate the taste of it. It's the worst! People tell me it's so much better with real sugar, so I've tracked down bottles from Mexico at Vallarta and tried it. Still not any good, though. I like Diet Coke just fine, but regular, red-label Coca-Cola is just the worst. (I'm a Diet Dr Pepper guy. Honestly, better than regular.)

I wish I didn't hate the taste, because I like the brand name just fine. They did a lot of good advertising in my formative years, I think. I like seeing it around. My mom and grandma and uncle use vintage Coca-Cola in a lot of their decorating, and I like that. Feels home-y.

It's kind of weird to think--that in advertising to me specifically--Coca-Cola won the battle, but lost the war. I have nothing against them, but I will not buy their product. I will go buy Diet Dr Pepper. Or store brand Diet Dr Pepper (Diet Dr K at Ralphs). Or Schweppes Gingerale (also made by the Dr Pepper company, as I have found out in researching this).

I feel like I'm missing out in not enjoying Coca-Cola. Like those people that hate Disneyland.

No comments:

Post a Comment